Saturday, December 8, 2007

Surfs Up!



We have a new favorite sport, that we intend on trying as much as possible while we are down under. This Saturday, we decided to head just North of Perth to a small town called Lancelin to try surfing. It is a great place to learn how to surf and has tons of schools that teach you. Jeremy and I decided to take the full day course on what they said was one of the windiest days of the year.



We had a brief 'classroom' demonstration and then we were off to the beach. We practiced the steps they taught us on the beach and then we were off to try in the water. We both caught our first waves and were UP!!!! The coaches were so impressed. In fact one asked me if I had surfed before, he was impressed with my balance (I attribute that to my many years of cheerleading, and yoga that I took in college..haha). Within the first 15 minutes he also had me get a smaller board (the larger the board the easier it is to get up), and I was just loving it. I will have to admit the the Indian Ocean is unlike any body of water I have EVER been in the currents are SO powerful. By lunch time, I was completely exhausted from just fighting the currents. Unfortunately, we did not get any pictures of me surfing, but I hope you enjoy the pictures of Jeremy.


This was Jeremy's first board (it is so long because he is so tall), but he was also moved to a shorter board and the shorter board is what you see him surfing on above.


This is the only picture taken of me trying to stay warm after lunch.

No comments: