ITALY- a 'dream' vacation for us and we are just beginning to dive into this country's rich history and incomparable beauty. To be honest, my original plan was to visit Italy for two weeks on our way home once J's job takes us back Stateside- however, once J reminded me that he could go before the girls and I, like what happened when we came over to the UK, my plan had to change and now we are going to see Italy when we can on long weekend trips and I cannot wait, as we have just scratched the service.
For the past 5 days we have been able to explore the amazing city of Rome, Italy. Words cannot do this city justice. You must come and explore for yourself the magnificents of this historical site.
Trevi Fountain
This fountain was completed in 1762 and is truly a sight to be seen! We had read that visiting at dusk or night is the perfect time, and we have to admit- it was gorgeous. Of course, we made a wish and through a coin in backwards :-)
Spanish Steps
We visited the Spanish Steps and the Piazza di Spagna one night. We did a little window shopping and just admired the area.
The Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
Ruins of what use to be a bustling Roman city over 3000 years ago, where Roman emperors would call home. To write all that it holds would take me a very long, I will just say, you must explore this area one day and see it for yourself. Unbelievable.
The Colosseum
Built between 70 and 82 AD it is Ancient Rome's amphitheater. As most know, it was used for gladiatorial and wild animal fights. It will leave you speechless.
Pantheon
This is the best preserved building of ancient Rome and has the largest masonry dome in Europe (a hole is in the central top). Honestly, one of my favorite "finds". You literally are just walking along and then boom, it is right there, in the middle of everything. I loved that about it.
THE VATICAN CITY
We took a guided tour of Vatican City, and I cannot express how much we enjoyed it. Our AMAZING travel agent suggested we do one to get the most out of time we spent there and I could not agree more. Our tour guide was an archeologist and very passionate about art and history and she was so interesting, funny, and truly enjoyable. Here is a model of the entire nation.
Vatican City is actually a country. The smallest nation covering just 120 acres! The Pope is actually in charge (I believe our tour guide called him the king) of Vatican City, it is a theocracy. Even though it is small, it has the largest church and the second largest museum in the world. In fact that was our first stop...
The Vatican Museum
This is the second largest museum (behind the Louvre in Paris) and would take 12 years if you stood in front of each items for just 2 minutes to see it all (I believe that is what our tour guide told us.. haha ... it has only been a few days and I am already forgetting, NOT GOOD!). To tell you the extensive detail and stories behind each painting would take so long, but I will say I was completely fascinated with all that our tour guide informed us about.
Since we took a private tour we got to visit several apartment and rooms that others do not see. They were unbelievable.
Raphael's Room, Borgia Apartment, Leonardo Di Vinci's St Jerome, etc.
Sistine Chapel
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to take pictures, but we stood inside the chapel in awe of what Michelangelo was able to accomplish. Obviously he is most noted for his Adam and Eve painting, but there are so many images that tell several stories, mainly all biblical stories- Creation, Noah, last judgement, etc. What we found very interesting that our tour guide told us was that Michelangelo was suggested to paint by another artist who actually did not like him and thought this would put an end Michelangelo and ruin his reputation. To be honest, apparently at first, Michelangelo had a hard time figuring out the technique of fresco painting (you have to paint while the wall is still wet). In fact, Michelangelo actually fled to Florence so he would not have to finish the ceiling, but Pope Sixtus IV (whom the chapel is named after), sent men and retrieved him and made him finish and while finishing he had to buy his own paint (so he did not spend money on more expensive colors, like blue). We thought that was so interesting! The Hallway outside the chapel. It is known as the royal hallway.
St Peter's Basilica
This is the largest church in the world. Unfortunately, pictures do not do it justice. It's mass is impressive. Peter's tomb is here (shown in a picture below, buried underneath the golden , Pope's are buried here, and well countless statues, memorials, etc. Something that I found weird and interesting all in the same breath, was that some Pope's once they died, had their bodies the covered in wax, or silver so their other's could see their outline of their body. The latest Pope John Paul II that died during his time, chose just to have a tomb instead. Beneath the basilica are the final resting places of more important priests, Pope's, Also, I learned that a basilica is the highest permanent designation of a church building and is an important church designed by a pope to carry out special significance for spiritual, historical, etc. reasons.
St Peter's Square
Yes, that balcony is where the Pope stand's to give the message what we all see on tv. He preaches there Wednesday, Sunday's and then there is a window (second from the left), he will give a prayer or blessing out of on Sunday afternoon's (I believe- Girls got me a bit distracted at this point, as it was the end of the tour, and they were hungry :-).
Villa Borghese
This is the largest central park in Rome. There are countless fountains, statues, etc. Just simply gorgeous and always nice to stop, explore, play and just enjoy time together.
Villa d'Este
My sister and sister-in-law both agreed that if we had a day, we should go just outside of Rome, to Tivoli a city on the side of the mountain, known for Hadrian's Villa and villa d'este. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately, the day we were there, the water had been turned off due to maintenance issues, but none the less, the girls had an AMAZING day, running around and exploring! Plus it is always fun and interesting to get out of the main city you are seeing, to get to see other parts of the country you are visiting.
Out and about in Rome
THE FOOD!
Yes... Everything we ate was delicious! This has been the girls favorite holiday, as they ate pizza and gelato almost every meal :-) ***Little known fact about me...I love ice cream, and Italy's gelato is amazing... I can guarantee I can eat ice cream faster than anyone...J always gives me a hard time, but it is true- just challenge me :-)
My fav pics were a bit adjusted (I used the transfer color option)- but I love how they portray Rome - I am just posting a few- trust me I could post thousands of more Rome pics :-)
Having spent 5 day's in Rome, you would think I would come home with a shorter list of things to do and see when we return one day. Not the case for Rome. Instead, my list has grown substantially. I am not sure how many years you could spend in Rome and still not see or uncover all it has to offer, but I love cities like Rome, that once you leave, it makes you want to come back for more and more. Rome intrigues your interest to learn and discover new things. To sit here and try and describe Rome, what we experienced or how amazing it is- clearly cannot do it just.
Our breath was taken away. Our expectations were met and exceeded. We cannot wait to return!









































































No comments:
Post a Comment