Sunday, October 7, 2007

To the Ends of the Earth...



God is absolutely amazing! We never imagined anything as beautiful as some of the coast lines that we saw this past weekend. I think that we loved it so much is because there are no resorts and hotels that stream down the coast lines...instead it is untouched land (we believe the government has some sort of banned). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics!



We went to the southwest corner of Australia this weekend (named the Margaret River area, or the wine country...there are vineyards everywhere). There are roads everywhere that you can pull off on and get closer to the Indian Ocean. With white sand and rocks that jolt up out of the beach and water everywhere. The beaches are as far as you can see, and most of the time you are the only one on them. You feel like the first to discover the beautiful sight, but then come back to reality... On one of the roads, is where I had my first run in with an Australian snake...YIKES! I got out to observe the beauty and grab some pics...but, let's just say that I was in the car faster than most people blink. People asked me what it looked like...not sure...I did not stick around to 'check it out' and apparently it was just as scared as I was because it scurred into the bushes. I can say that it was dark...maybe a brownish color, maybe more of a grayish black. Anyway, the above picture was taken of Jeremy when we climbed on and over some limestone to get closer to the ocean (do not worry parents we were being safe).



This was taken in front of Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse. The wind was blowing about 35-40 mph, which apparently is normal. Everyone was having a hard time walking, etc. This is the sign showing that to the right is the Indian Ocean and to the left is the Southern Ocean. This lighthouse is where two oceans meet.



Above, you can actually see the two oceans meeting. If you can see the white caps on the upper part of the picture, this is where the two currents are coming together. This was taken when we were on top of the lighthouse (the wind up there was unbelievable). Also, from the top of the lighthouse you can see a rock (not shown in the above pic) that apparently if you stick a rod from it through the earth it ends up at Washington, D.C. It is called the antipidies of D.C.



Here is a pic of Hamlin Bay. A beautiful beach that has fairly friendly stingrays that frequent it during the warmer months. You can bet that Jeremy and I will be back to catch a glimpse of them :-)



Karri trees...overwhelming and beautiful. While driving down Caves Road, you are taken back by the beauty of the trees and then of coast lines and the magnificient colors of the Indian Ocean. You feel like you are in a movie.



Check out a cave that we visited. Amazing! If you look closely, you can see that this formation was not touching the water below. You never imagine that under your feet, roads, trees, etc. that caves like this can exist, but they do!

Still more pics from the weekend to come....

(You can click on all pictures to see a larger view)

1 comment:

Alexia & Jeffrey said...

wow, this is all SO amazing! i can't wait to come visit!